KOSOFE CONSTITUENCY II BY-ELECTION: I WILL BE A ROUND PEG IN A ROUND HOLE – OMOBA ADEYINKA OYEDIRAN





OMOBA ADEYINKA ADEBAYO OYEDIRAN WAS A FORMER AIDE TO LATE SENATOR ADEBAYO OSINOWO. AS A MATTER OF FACT, HE SPENT A WHOPPING 12 YEARS WITH THE LATE SENATOR IN LAGOS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY. OMOOBA AS HE IS SIMPLY CALLED IS NOW ONE OF THE ASPIRANTS OF ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS VYING TO CLINCH THE TICKET OF THE PARTY TO CONTEST THE FORTHCOMING KOSOFE CONSTITUENCY II LAGOS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY BY-ELECTION.

HOWEVER BEFORE NEXT MONTH’S PARTY PRIMARY ELECTION FINALLY TAKES PLACE, OMOOBA HAS BEEN ABLE TO ADD A NEW FEATHER TO HIS CAP WITH HIS INDUCTION BY ACADEMY FOR ARTS & CULTURE AS  DOCTORATE DEGREE HOLDER HELD AT DE ROYAL HOTEL OGUN RIVER ROAD ISHERI ON AUGUST 11, 2020. KOSOFE REPORTERS WAS AT THE VENUE OF THE EVENT AND WAS ABLE TO ASK THE ASPIRANT SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT HIS ASPIRATION. 
 
IN THE FOLLOWING INTERVIEW OMOOBA OYEDIRAN SPEAKS ON WHY HE IS THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB, HIS RELATIONHIP WITH SEN. OSINOWO AND ON THE ISSUE OF IMPOSITION OF AN ASPIRANT BY LAGOS HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY SPEAKER.  


 
 BY : OLUSEGUN APENA
          TAIWO FADIPE


 

Kosofe Reporters: Can we meet you, Sir? 
 
Omooba: My names are Omooba Adeyinka Adebayo Oyediran  
 
Kosofe Reporters: For the sake of those who are not acquainted with you, could you kindly give us your brief profile?
 
Omooba: I was born in Ijebu-Igbo on April 28, 1961 to the family of late Alhaji Hamzat Oyebanji Oyediran and still-alive Madam Mutiat Oyediran. I went to Saint Luke Anglican school Ijebu-Igbo and Abusi Odumare Academy and from there after brief business I went to University of Lagos where I did a course in information system, data analysis and computer programming. Thereafter I proceeded to the institute of Chartered Administrator London and Nigeria. And along the line, I happened to be a business person. I was in Liberia for many years. I travelled far and wide especially the West Coast countries. I participated in show exhibition in West Coast countries. And I was the youngest of the 23-man delegation that wrote bilateral trade agreement between Nigeria and Liberia. Ever since, I have been in business and politics. I have been in politics as a result of my yearning to bring government closer to my people, thereby there can be better development than we can do in CDA, individual or street level so that our area can be better. I know with government we can go far. Aside that, I have been into trading. I am the Managing Director of Café 18 Logistics and Services Limited. And I am also into property development. Presently, I am the national president of my old student association. I am also the president of my set. I am also the president of Ipe Omo Yoruba (the clarion call for Yoruba race). I believe so much in helping my people and that is the more reason why I am even aspiring to be in government circle, to be in corridor of power so that I can draw development and monumental activities to my area in general. 
 
  
Kosofe Reporters: We learnt you are gunning for the vacant post of kosofe constituency II Lagos state house of Assembly member. Could you tell us why?  
 
Omooba: Looking at kosofe constituency II, you look at it as a cosmopolitan environment, diverse people. I understand the cosmopolitan area of this thing I also understand how to harness human resources together. I believe I will be a very strong factor to unite, bring closer to government, which I have done in the past and bring about development into this diverse environment. So I understand the environment so much and its diversity. I understand the lead. I am a town and gown kind of person; I am travel inclined and at the same time down to the roots to be able to relate with my people. Even the people at the lower cadre of the ladder, I mingle a lot with them. So every class and every tribe of the people of my community and my constituency is easier for me. When you look at my activity in the last three dispensations, I have been in and around of Lagos State House of Assembly because of my late Boss Senator Adebayo Osinowo who was there for four terms and by the grace of God I served him for three terms. So the ethics, rule and regulations in and around the environment and the workings of the environment are within my fingertips which I will deliver. I will be a round peg in a round hole if I am given the opportunity. However I am pleading with my people, my leaders to see what I stand for and help our people to put a person like me that knows what it takes to be there and know what it takes to bridge the gap to serve our people so that our area can be better. 
 
 
Kosofe Reporters: Would you say the legislative experience you were able to acquire from late Sen. Adebayo Osinowo during your twelve years working relationship with him in the Lagos State House of Assembly coupled with your rich professional and academic qualifications have put you in a better position to be the representative of your constituency?
 
Omooba: You see, Yoruba people will say in an environment you are conversant with during the day, to work in that area at night will not be difficult. It is like my immediate environment when you are talking of Lagos State House of Assembly. Virtually, I know the in and out. Again when you look at the Late Senator, he served there for sixteen years before moving to the senate. He was a household name. And whatever he was able to do and stood out of multitude. He must have being a reference point. He must have become an institution. And he himself being a leader, I happened to be the foot soldier in so many frights. I happened to be the hands that worked behind the led. It is just a matter of pushing me forward. You see people have been working behind the curtain for quite some time. And they asked you to do the same work. The difference is just to draw the curtain. This gives me edge above every other contender…. . so for somebody to understand the terrain it is not a joke and not a day job. So it is better to put somebody who is inclined, who as the horizon, who has the natural endowment and who has gotten the experience for having been there for quite some time. 
 
Kosofe Reporters: Before the death of Barrister Tunde Braimoh did you ever think of running for this post?
 
Omooba: In the first place I picked up form in the last administration. Late Barrister Tunde Braimoh happened to be in the same political house with me. We were all foot soldiers, we were all dedicated followers to our late leader senator Adebayo Osinowo. So it was a clear understanding that made me not to contest since he was still there. We knew he was to serve another term but at a certain point there was a rankle at a particular point in time. So instead of that opportunity to be given to another person, we quickly say okay – you know when you are on the field of play and you are number 7 and you look at the reserve bench and you see three different number 7 players, you will rather do your best on the field or be replaced. By the grace of God Barr. Tunde Braimoh did his best. We were waiting for him to complete his tenure so that I will now move in. There was preparation for him to even aspire higher but as God would have it, he decided to take him. We loved him so much, but God loves him the best. Because of that we cannot leave the vacuum. That place cannot be lying down fallow. The only thing we can do is to look for a peg that will look like a peg removed from that hole. And you put it as a stud and drive it in there so that the result orientation will still be there. We need somebody who understand - a kind of continuity so that our constituency can take best from the government. 
   
Kosofe Repoters: what are your immediate plans for your constituents if you happen to win the ticket of your party and the by-election?  

Omooba: I have started already. As i am talking to you now we are renovating a school at Agboyi which we have almost completed. The sporting activity over there is already on because I have been part and parcel of the system. A Liberian man will say ‘’ses kuku ju mu ku you know inside you know no”. if you are not part of the system you will not know. I have been part of the system that is why it will be easier for me to go into that place and perform. Not just to go there and lie down fallow. I am not going to look like a newcomer. Most especially at the Legislative arm first timer hardly knows what to do. The result they normally bring back is not enormous. But in my own case I am not new in the environment, it is just making it as usual as we are trying to do. When you look at that you know that we are going there to give our best for the constituency. That is the way I see it.
   
Kosofe Reporters: In recent time we have being hearing news that the speaker of Lagos House of Assembly Rt. Hon. Mudasiru Obasa is trying to impose an aspirant on the constituency. How true is this? 

Omooba: I am a man that doesn’t talk about assumption. In Liberia, there is a post in every strategic location and what they write there is “wrong assumption brings about wrong conclusion”. Mr. Speaker – Alh. Mudasiru Ajayi Obasa; Ajagunpote of Agege, the Asiwaju of Itori kingdom. As far as I am concerned he is a very good friend. And having being in the house for so long is highly experienced. He knows what is best, he knows what is good and loves to do what is right. To my knowledge I have not seen that. From my knowledge I have not heard from him. We speak regularly and I see him as somebody who understands me more than even his mates. He has acquired and has become an institution in the field. So what you have just said might be a news but at times fabricated news are not uncommon in the fields of politics. Until such a thing is being said, until such a thing is being discussed, I cannot comment on it on the basis of the fact that somebody said that. Where is the candidate? Where is the link? As the man spoken? And as a fierce-looking very strongly built a man; very pragmatic, I don’t believe he is a person that will be fighting from behind. If he is interested in something he would come to us. And if he is able to give us somebody that is better than us we will take it in as much as he is a member of our constituency; a practicing politician, a member of our constituency. Like our late senator would say give me a superior argument and I will abide by it. So if he is able to give us a superior argument then we can abide. Nothing is impossible in the field of politics.               
  
Kosofe Reporters: we also heard that the leaders in the constituency have settled for an aspirant? 

Omooba: What I heard from them is that if there could be continuity from the axis of the last occupier of the seat. But for us we look at it that we are not talking of an LCDA election, we are talking about constituency election. The constituency is called constituency II which comprises of two LCDA. Which means any part of that constituency can produce the next house of assembly member. Hence it is supposed to be a free environment. All they need to do is to provide conducive atmosphere where people can operate. Look at it from the angle that the late senator was from kosofe constituency 1. As of today, which we cannot vouch that the same opportunity will still be given to kosofe. If it will still be given, fantastic. We will take it. So what are we talking about? It is going to be a free environment for everybody to operate. What we need is level playing ground. What we are looking for here is that only the best is good enough.  
  
Kosofe Reporters: let’s talk about your late boss Sen. Osinowo. To what extent do you miss him?   
Omooba: Up till now it is a herculean task for me to believe that such a man has gone to the life beyond. It is still on me… I still feel that somebody will tell me that “you are not dreaming come alive and embrace him”. If I see him I will embrace him. If I see him I am not going to run away like the way you see a dead body and run. I am assuring that the first thing I will do is to “salamot” to him, “asalam aleikun”. Because he was my boss, he was my brother, he was my mentor, he was my teacher. He was a man with high level of native intelligence. He was born when his father was 60. So he was” omoarugbo”. What do you expect? Qualitative training upstair and he took only superior argument. Again he was highly spiritual. He was highly inclined when it comes to Islamic religion. What we used to do together when he was alive: he introduced us to what the Redeem called GKD. We did exposition of the words of God together. And that is what I am resting the whole of the activity upon God. For to me I still found it very difficult that late Bayo Osinowo has gone to the world beyond. He lives on.        
 
Kosofe Reporters: if Senator Bayo Osinowo had been alive and this opportunity somehow presented itself, the coast would have been very clear to you?   

Omooba: I remember what he used to say. He would say you have played your part, you have served very well. I think it is an appointed time for me to release you in to the world. Let the world see the quality. He believed that whenever he sent you on a programme, he didn’t have problem in me achieving on those programme or plans. What he had problem with was how to curtail me not to go beyond where he didn’t want. So I did things consciously. Like he would rightly say, “When a boy served his master very well, When it is appointed time for him to get freedom, he gets it with dexterity that he needed. I remember the last time we spoke together it was on my birthday April 28. He said “look Omooba when it is appointed time for you to contest, because you listened to me, last administration you took form I woke you up around 12 am when you were in your hotel in Abuja and while I was in his room he said, ”Can you give me that form; can you relinquish it to me; can you let me dictate the pace. And I said yes. So I wouldn’t have spent a dime. The onus would have been with him to actualize it. That is why I am calling on all those who loved him, all those who believed in him, all those who believe that …. To rally round. That dream is a baby that must not die. We must ensure that Senator Bayo Osinowo …. Is kept alive. We must keep it together.We must keep it intact. We must keep the spirit. We must allow the spirit and all what he believed to live on to lead on. That is my belief.    
 

Comments

Most Read

Sunday Igboho Is An Assassin And I Once Got Him Arrested For Attempting To Assassinate Asiwaju Tinubu And Rauf Aregbesola for N25 million – OTO

APC Adjusts Primary Elections Timetable Again, Shifts Special Congresses To May 16-17

KOSOFE CDC CHAIRMAN, SEGUN BABATUNDE, ARRESTED BY POLICE OVER FRAUDULENT RELOCATION OF COMMUNITY TRANSFORMER.

BREAKING: Kosofe APC Ward B elects State and LG Adhoc delegates